What Is Kids Like Us?
Kids Like Us is a non-profit organization dedicated to the literacy learning of children in city schools. We do research, professional development, and advocacy to promote culturally relevant instruction and to ensure that children have access to books in which they can see themselves, their families, and their communities represented and valued when learning to read and write.
What services does Kids Like Us provide?
- Access to the highest-quality collection of children's literature that reflects the lives and experiences of students in city schools
- Recommended book sets that have been reviewed by urban public school teachers and students
- Links to author and illustrator websites and teaching guides
- Professional development and technical support for schools, childcare centers, and community literacy organizations
- A network of educators and community members committed to the literacy learning of urban school children
How can I find out more about Kids Like Us?
Please contact us directly to discuss our recommended titles, purchase books, or schedule professional development for your school or organization. Kids Like Us is run entirely by volunteer educators and community members. If you don't catch us in, please leave a message via phone or e-mail, and we'll get back with you right away.